Current track




Tragic detail in photo after drowning death

Written by on May 14, 2024

The parents of a young boy who drowned in a lagoon are calling for change as photos reveal tragic details from the scene.

Ali Aminzadah, 4, was playing outside at a family member’s house in Officer, in Melbourne’s southeast, when he vanished on Sunday on Mother’s Day.

The boy’s family had been visiting relatives after travelling from Swan Hill, in Victoria’s northwest.

Emergency services were called to Lagoon Row about 5pm after Ali was found unresponsive.

Despite the efforts of paramedics, he could not be revived and died at the scene.

Neighbours had unknowingly walked past the lagoon for almost 30 minutes before Ali, a “fun-loving” boy with a “big smile”, was found in the water, 7News reported.

Now, the boy’s family, who spoke to 9News, have expressed their outrage over the wire fencing which surrounds the lagoon.

They are calling for Cardinia Shire Council to change it.

Photos and footage of the lagoon show a thin wire fence with wide gaps bordering the body of water.

Neighbour Tammy Gauld told the outlet the suburban lagoon is “attractive to children”.

“I do think it was an accident waiting to happen,” she said.

“I really think council needs to look at fencing to see what they can do, put something better up than what is there.”

Following the tragedy, Cardinia Shire Mayor Jack Kowarzik expressed his condolences to Ali’s family on behalf of the Cardinia Shire community.

However, he made no mention of updating the fence.

“This is absolutely tragic news,” he said in a statement.

“On behalf of Council and the local community, I extend our heartfelt condolences to the boy’s family during this devastating time.

“The Cardinia Shire community has been deeply affected by this terrible incident happening so close to home.

“I’d also like to acknowledge the impact of this incident on first responders, and the valiant efforts of emergency services personnel who attended the scene.”

More Coverage

Police say the boy’s death is not being treated as suspicious.

A report will be prepared for the coroner has contacted Cardinia Shire Council for comment.