Current track




Further charges over Wakeley riot

Written by on May 10, 2024

A further three people have been charged over their alleged involvement in a riot that erupted near a church in Sydney’s southwest after a religious leader was allegedly stabbed during a service.

About 2000 people went to the area near the Christ The Good Shepherd Church in Wakeley after a 16-year-old boy allegedly stabbed Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel on the evening of April 15.

NSW Police on Friday confirmed three additional people had been charged following an extensive investigation into the public order incident.

This brings the number of people charged over the riot to 18.

Officers from Strike Force Dribs, which was established to investigate the large-scale public order incident, executed a search warrant at a Greenacre home on April 30, with investigators seizing clothing and a mobile phone.

A 24-year-old man was arrested at the home and taken to Bankstown Police Station where he was charged with hinder police officer in the execution of duty and fail to comply with direction.

He was granted conditional bail to appear at Bankstown Local Court on June 6.

Following further inquiries, a 31-year-old man was arrested at Kearns about 7.20am Friday.

The arrest came after a search warrant was issued for a home on Amazon Pl, with investigators seizing clothing and a mobile phone.

He was charged with riot and unlawful assembly.

A 28-year-old woman was charged with public disorder – more than three people threaten violence cause fear, unlawful assembly and hinder police in execution of duty, after she attended Fairfield Police Station on Friday morning.

Both were refused bail to appear in court on Friday.

The charges come just days after police issued an appeal for the public to help identify nine additional people who were allegedly involved in the incident, with police releasing images of the eight men and one woman they wanted to to speak with.

“Can I say to anyone involved in the violent confrontation, you are better to come and see us than us coming to see you,” Acting Assistant Commissioner Andrew Holland said on Tuesday.

Investigations under Strike Force Dribs are continuing.

Read related topics:Sydney